40 Young Health Leaders Unite in Geneva to Tackle Global Health Challenges, including Climate Change, Ebola, Human Resources for Health, Adolescents and Childs health and Antimicrobial Resistance, prior to the World Health Assembly 2015
May 14th 2015, Geneva – The International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) is thrilled to announce the opening of its annual Youth Pre World Health Assembly Event, held at the Graduate Institute in Geneva, Switzerland, from May 13th to May 18th 2015.
The preparation and empowerment of young people to meaningfully engage in policy-making on the international stage is of increasing importance given the growing complexity of the global health landscape. The World Health Assembly, as a key player in this landscape, serves as a prime opportunity for developing youth leadership and promoting active participation and effective youth advocacy in global health governance.
As such, this four-day capacity building workshop aims to provide young health leaders with valuable insights on global health challenges, including leadership, diplomacy and governance. Over 40 participants from more than 15 countries and five continents will contribute to discussions and advocacy strategy development defined by four key IFMSA priorities this year:
- Climate Change and Health: An Opportunity to Tackle Non Communicable Diseases
- Health Systems and Ebola Outbreak: The importance of Human Resources for Health
- Adolescents and Children’s Health: Paving the way for the Future
- Antimicrobial Resistance: An Emerging Challenge for Health Professionals
IFMSA is confident the Youth Pre World Health Assembly will lead to increased youth visibility, advocacy and engagement during the 68th World Health Assembly. Attendees will simultaneously have the opportunity to develop leadership and policy skills as well as global health expertise.
The participants will be using the hashtag #ywha to communicate on social media, including on Twitter.
The event is organized with the support of the Global Health Program of the Geneva Graduate Institute and of the Global Health Workforce Alliance (GHWA).
The International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) envisions a world in which all medical students unite for global health and are equipped with the knowledge, skills and values to take on health leadership roles locally and globally. Founded in 1951, IFMSA today represents a network of 1.3 million medical students through its 125 national member organizations. For more: www.ifmsa.org.
IFMSA Vice-President for External Affairs
Mobile: +41 78 808 8610
Email: [email protected]
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021