A Sub Regional Training (SRT) is an international meeting supported by the IFMSA, where members and motivated students from a (sub)region or sometimes even further away can meet and participate in trainings, workshops and small working groups. It can also be recognized as an IFMSA Activity.
SRTs and other IFMSA Activities are organized by an Organizing Committee (OC) within a National Member Organization (NMO) that volunteers to find board and lodging, to coordinate the trainings, Small Working Groups (SWGs) and workshops and to organize a social program for all the participants. The main objective of the program is to improve the work of IFMSA in the region.
- Motivate participants and make them feel part of the IFMSA;
- Share experiences, projects, and problem solving techniques;
- Deliver trainings in different topics;
- Work together to solve problems that officers might encounter through SWGs;
- Find out ways of collaboration with the rest of the NMOs in the region;
- Provide the members with further information about the IFMSA and the participating NMOs;
- Have lots of fun!
There are several examples of SRTs that have been organized so far, which include but are not limited by:
- International Peer Education Trainings (IPET/Advanced IPET)
- Training New Trainers, Training Old Trainers, Training Experienced Trainers (TNT/TOT/TET)
- Training New Human Rights Trainers (TNHRT)
- Training Medical Education Trainers (TMET)
- Northern/Southern European Cooperation for Sex Education (NECSE/SECSE)
- Global Health and/or Public Health Training
- And many many more!
SRTs and other activities were created to provide members that did not have the opportunity to attend an IFMSA General Assembly or Regional Meeting (for example due to limited delegation spots, funding or leave of absence with another opportunity to join the capacity building opportunities that are offered there). They also enable countries within a specific part of the region that may encounter the same challenges to work together.
By filing an application form as an IFMSA Activity, IFMSA will support your NMO with the help you need.
What IFMSA can offer you:
- An official will be appointed as your contact person for questions or support that you need, to oversee your SRT, help you in the preparation and follow up
- Help in developing the agenda of the SRT
- Help in finding trainers
- Example budgets or templates
- Access to archived information and material for trainings
- Promote your event through the official IFMSA channels and website
- Help in the invitation of externals for the training
However, any event that is organized by one or several NMOs together that serves the goals mentioned above and applies to the needs of the region can apply to become an SRT. A good source of inspiration could be the numerous Pre-GA and Pre-Regional Meeting proposals as well, which can also be hosted as a separate event. For any more information, please consult the SRT Manual: Edition 2014.
Check out pictures of the most recent IFMSA SRTs:
- Portugal Training For All (September 2015)
- Stockholm SCORP Camp (August 2015)
- Barcelona Global Health Summer School (July 2015)
- Diana Sub-regional Training (June 2015)
- Dahab Sub-regional Training (May 2015)
- Vienna Professional And Research Exchanges Training (December 2014)
- Stockholm Health Care in Danger Workshop (December 2014)
- Plovdiv Professional And Research Exchanges Training (October 2014)
- Catalonia Southern European Cooperation on Sexual Education SECSE (September 2014)
- Amman SCORP Camp (August 2014)
Stay tuned for the upcoming ones!