Name of the activity: Child Growth and Nutritional Balance
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: Continuous Activity
Category: Capacity Building
Focus area: Tobacco Prevention
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being)
61.5 million Indonesians aged over 15 years smoke. Coupled with the lack of knowledge of adolescents regarding the dangers and therapy to quit smoking. So that the SCORE CIMSA-BEM KM FK Unand carried out this activity with the target students of SMPN 7 Padang using experiments activity based so youth’s interest in research also increase. Evaluation by using pre-test and post-test, committee evaluation meeting, and post-project questionnaire. While follow-up by using a quiz.
Indonesia is ranked 3rd in the country with the most smokers in the world. Over time, the number of teenagers who smoke has increased from 11.8% in 2006 to 19.2% in 2019. One of the most influential risk factors for disability and death in West Sumatra is smoking with an increase in prevalence of 9.5% during 2009–2019 and the side effect of smoking in the form of lung cancer leads to the most deaths. So, this activity is needed as an effort to prevent smoking.
- Other Students
- General population
- Other Students
Empowering Medical Students
– Increase knowledge of member SCORE CIMSA-BEM KM FK Unand regarding smoking, respiratory system,smoking cessation, an dNicotine Replacement Therapy. (Knowledge)
– Raise awareness of member SCORE CIMSA-BEM KM FK Unand on the bad effects of smoking and the difficulty of educating addicts.(Attitude)
– Train the ability of SCORE CIMSA-BEM KM FK Unand members in delivering material with effective communication and conducting experiments on lung function using spirometry or balloons and interpreting experimental results.(Practice)
Improving Nation’s Health
– Increasing the knowledge of SMPN 7 Padang students regarding the effects of smoking through assessment of the respiratory system and education on smoking control.(Knowledge)
– Increase awareness of SMPN 7 Padang students on the effects of smoking and access to smoking cessation services.(Attitude)
– Train the ability to make material conclusions with the output in the form of posters.(Practice)
Indicators of Success:
Pre-intervention attended by at least 50% members of SCORE CIMSA Unand and the implementation of training “the effects of smoking on the respiratory system”
Increased member’s knowledge through upgrades post-test to be a minimum average score of 75
Conduct an experiment about function of the respiratory system
Delivering material “impact of smoking on the respiratory system through spirometry visualization” to cadres
Increasing knowledge of cadres through improvement post-test to an average value of at least 75
Delivered material “smoking cessation and Nicotine Replacement Therapy to cadres“
Presentation materials “smoking prevention and smoker rehabilitation in children” to cadres
Increasing knowledge of cadres through improvement post-test be a minimum average value of 75
Conducted poster presentations to at least 30 grade 8 students of SMPN 7 Padang
Conduct a selection of the most active young researcher
Reports and infographics WAFER on Instagram @cimsaunand with at least 80 likes
Training related to spirometry, respiratory system disorders caused by smoking, and smoking cessation by representatives of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine Unand to member of SCORE CIMSA Unand
– Sharing session by SCORE CIMSA Unand member regarding the dangers of smoking to cadres
– Explanation and Demonstration Spirometry Benedict by a lecturer in Physiology Unand
– Spirometry Digital experiment to cadres by the specialist student of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine Unand
– Giving material “”I’m a Smart Youth Without Smoking”” by RUANDU Foundation to cadres and representatives of SMPN 7 Padang students
– Explanation of smoking cessation services and Trial Demonstrations Smokerlyzer by Ulak Karang Health Center
– The cadres made posters with the material that had been obtained before
– Poster presentation by cadres to grade 8 students of SMPN 7 Padang
– Choose WAFER most active young researcher
Plans for evaluation:
Internal committee: Member evaluation meeting SCORE CIMSA-BEM KM FK Unand.
Material evaluation and implementationproject:
– Feedback from member.
– Pre-test and post-test.
– Feedback from external partner.
– Post-activity questionnaire.
– Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University – laboratory provider and presenter at spirometry benedict demonstrations
– Department of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University is an government organization
– SMPN 7 Padang is a government organization
– Ulak Karang Health Center is a government organization
– RUANDU Foundation is a non-governmental organization
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment