Name of the activity: Vaccine Equity Project
Country/NMO: MedSIN Sudan
Program: Communicable Diseases
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: First-time Activity
Focus area: Work to increase rate of Vaccination
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being)
Enrollment valid until: September 30, 2023 (enroll again next term if the Activity is continued) – in Database until 2026
The problem being addressed is vaccine inequality and ensuring fair distribution across the globe. With the COVID-19 pandemic, different countries across the world hoarded important vaccines, which created an avoidable healthcare disparity. In low-income countries, 45% of deaths could have been averted had COVAX targets been met (Watson et al., 2022). Ensuring purchasing caps and strict regulations for vaccine coverage will reduce this inequality and lead to better health outcomes globally.
- General population
- People with disabilities
- Elderly people
- Homeless people
- LGBTQIA+ community
- Incarcerated individuals
- General population
- Specific: Creation of a comprehensive ~10 page document that outlines vaccine equity and have specific calls to action on what Canada can do to prevent vaccine inequity.
- Measurable: Pass Policy or Position Statement at CFMS AGM 2023 – Attainable: Fits context of NOPH role and would engage the CFMS Public Health Committee members
- Realistic: Aligns with our role as future physicians and vaccine advocates
- Time: By end of August 2023 have a completed draft statement.
Indicators of Success:
- Comparing to see if we are hitting the timelines set out for the project.
- Seeing if the policy/position paper is submitted for approval at the CFMS AGM 2023 in September
- Ensuring the event is planned out and ready to go beginning of September 2023.
- The Public Health Agency of Canada may be an external partner, but this is mores to facilitate a roundtable discussion event on vaccine equity across the globe. Any funding received is coming from the CFMS’ Global Health budget directly.
Our activity includes two different pieces: 1) Policy Statement to be adopted by CFMS on Vaccine Equity. This statement would outline Canada’s role in vaccine inequity across the globe and calling on specific measures to ensure the government has strict regulations for vaccine purchases which align with COVAX. 2) Vaccine Equity Round-table Discussion Event. This 1 hour Zoom event would be a roundtable discussion on vaccine equity, with leaders from the Public Health Agency of Canada to talk about Canada’s role in vaccine equity. This event would happen end of September 2023.
Plans for evaluation:
- We will know we are successful when the draft has been created by the end of August 2023 and been submitted for approval and adoption at the Fall General Meeting (Sept 17th, 2023) for the CFMS.
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal