Name of the activity: Transplantation and blood donation peer education
Country/NMO: Hungary (HuMSIRC)
Program: Organ, Marrow & Tissue Donation
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Hungary became part of the Eurotransplant movement, so the possibilities of organ transplantations and the number of such surgeries increased. Reasonably low willingness of blood donation is common in the society, even though the need is high.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
This is mainly a peer education project, our focus is the students aged 12-18 (high schools). There is another aspect, the “TransplantTeddy”, when we visit and play with children after HSCT in hospitals with sterile plush toys.
Objectives and indicators of success:
To inform the students about some of the spects of organ and blood donation and by this, raise awereness of the general population and raise the willingness of donation.
To inform the students about the medically possible organ transplantations, the legal and wthical issues concerning such interventions and the concept of brain death. We also give lectures about blood donation and transfusion. The group consists of 8 active members, held 32 lectures through the term.
Plans for evaluation:
Indicators cound be the number of students reaced, the lectures held, sick children visited in hospitals. We send out a google evaluating form to the schools where our peer educators held lecture, but the rate of the answers is low.
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024