Name of the activity: TRANSMISSION (Train Your Minor Surgery and Circumcision Skills)
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Teaching Medical Skills
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Capacity Building (Training or Workshop). Teaching and develop knowledge, skills and techniques in a particular field. While training can have any form, workshops are more formal and also include exchange of information between participants.
This activity conducted by SCOME CIMSA UNS to facilitates medical students to learn about minor surgery and circumcision in order to support Human Resources for Health. On the first day of this activity, we conducted a lecture regarding minor surgery, with Andre Prawiradinata as the speaker. Then, we held a small group discussion (SGD), so the participants could practice the minor surgery. On the second day, we conducted a lecture about circumcision by Elian Devina, and an SGD to practice the circumcision. All mentors of the SGD was from LKMI Surakarta. There was also a pretest and post-test to evaluate the medical students’ knowledge, and there was a practical checklist to assess the medical students’ skill.
In the 2012 Indonesian Doctors’ Competency Standards (Standar Kompetensi Dokter Indonesia; SKDI), pre-operative preparation, operating fields for minor surgery, asepsis, antisepsis, local anesthesia, and circumcision are clinical skills that must be mastered by a doctor (level 4A). In UNS, there is not much open training that provides opportunities for students to hone minor surgical and circumcision skills. Medical students will get the topic in the 7th semester and only through 2 meetings.
Objectives and indicators of success:
Improve medical students’ skills on circumcision and minor surgery by 25% in 2 days.
• Increase the knowledge of medical students regarding the importance of circumcision and minor surgery.
• Increase the knowledge of medical students regarding indications and contraindications of circumcision and minor surgery.
• Increase the knowledge and skills of medical students regarding the procedures for circumcision and minor surgery.
• Add level 4A clinical abilities that have to be mastered by a general practitioner.
• Train the committee in carrying out good projects in an effort to improve human resources in the health sector.
• Participants who attended the event reached 50 people, measured from the attendance list of participants.
• Increase participants’ knowledge about minor surgery and circumcision at least 25%, measured from the written pretest and post-test data.
• Increase participants’ knowledge regarding minor surgery and circumcision at least 25% in the practical checklist.
• Increase participants’ knowledge about minor surgery and circumcision in 70% of participants, measured from pretest, written post-test, and practical checklist.
To increase medical students’ knowledge, we held lectures about minor surgery and circumcision. To increase medical students’ skills, we conducted a small group discussion (SGD) with 4 up to 6 participants for each group. There was one mentor for each group to teach the medical students how to do the circumcision and basic minor surgery. After that, every participant was given the opportunity to practice the circumcision and basic minor surgery.
Plans for evaluation:
This activity evaluated by the data obtained through a questionnaire that will be processed into qualitative and quantitative data. We collected the data at the beginning of this activity and after the intervention was given. We conducted the survey in the inhabitants of a medical student at Sebelas Maret University. We also conducted pretest, written post-test, and practical checklist to evaluate participants’ knowledge and skills. Every data that we got would be compared, pre and post-event to know the impactfulness and the effectiveness of the interventions of this activity.
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal
- Obstetric urgency and emergency workshop – IFMSA-Brazil
- Breaking The Silence (BTS) – CIMSA-Indonesia