Name of the activity: Teddy Bear Hospital: Organs Donation
Country/NMO: Chile (IFMSA-Chile)
Program: Organ, Marrow & Tissue Donation
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Organ donation, Tissue donation, excluding blood donation
Nowadays, there is a subjective rejection to organ donation, reaching 41% of total population, according to the National Public Health Institute. In 2018, the donation rate drops to 19.14 p.m.p, reaching a hard fall in comparison to other years.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Is directed to Children between 7-11 yo. We expect that children will learn about organ’s locations and functions; how the process is, and raise awareness in this group, so they can grow into adults that may have an impact in society.
Objectives and indicators of success:
1) Simulate the organ donation process in a group of children between 7-11 yo, in 4 hours, including the surgical procedure and causes of transplantation.
2) Achieve that at least, a half of the participating children can recognize all the abdominal and thoracic organs, and at least, one function of three of them. Measuring of that way, their knowledge acquired in the day.
3) Get a participation of, at least, 70% of children authorized by their fathers, mothers or legal guardians.
Before everything, is necessary to inform parents and have their authorization for the children’s participation. Then, it will be presented to children about organs, their location and function; a story between Teddy and Juliet, who suffers an accident. Juliet dies, and Teddy needs a heart to recover. Children are prepared to enter a simulated surgery and to observe the trasplant. After the activity the children will be granted a diploma of participation to the activity
Since the space is limited to describe the project, is detailed, with materials and things that are necessary in: https://goo.gl/wZXDYd
Plans for evaluation:
It will be evaluated by observation, identifying and counting the number of children who can tell the names and one function of at least 3 different organs, during the surgical simulation. Also must know at least two benefits of organ donation or its importance. Also will be measured the proportion of children who are authorized by their parents, that reflects also their attitude about organ donation indirectly.
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021