Name of the activity: Suicidal Doctor
Country/NMO: Ecuador (AEMPPI-Ecuador)
Program: Mental Health
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign. Combination of education and advocacy. Campaigns create awareness in society about a certain topic (education aspect) and try to funnel this awareness into pressure on the decision makers to adapt policies accordingly (advocacy aspect).
“Mental health is an important issue because if we are mentally well we can also be physically well. Many times medical students can not cope with this issue because of the stress and pressure that the race causes us, that is why it has been estimated that there are approximately 400 medical students per year who have tried to commit suicide.
First, the projection of a video where the problem is touched, “”The Dark Side of Medicine”” after the presentation of the video, a round of questions and opinions about this topic.The project will try to reach the health community through a symposium, in which thanks to a professional you can reach the goal that is raised awareness of mental health problems. And also generate a solution plan to this, which in this case will be to make a mural with self-help phrases that will benefit the medical students that are the main focus of the project and not also of the medical professionals.”
Mental Health among Medical Students
Mental health is an important issue that is already well mentally we can also be physically well. Many times medical students can not cope with this issue because of the stress and pressure that the race causes us, that is why they have estimated as 400 medical students per year who have tried to commit suicide.
General population, Medical students, Healthcare Students, Other Students, Doctors, Other health professionals, Children, Youth, Women, Migrants, Refugees, People with disabilities, Elderly people, Homeless people, LGBTQIA+ community, Incarcerated individuals
Objectives and indicators of success:
To raise awareness in 40 medical students about the mental health problems and the consequences this can bring in the short and long term and how it can affect the daily life of a doctor through a symposium on the subject of mental health of the doctor in medical students and health professionals of approximately 2 hours to be held on November 28, 2018, in the Auditorium of the School of Medicine of ESPOCH.
Indicator: minimum number of 40 attendees
• Analyze the main problem through the screening of the video “”The dark side of medicine”” Fernando Gordillo TedX Quito
• Indicator: questions after the screening of the documentary
• Determine the approaches to be dealt with on the problem presented with the help of the specialist speaker on the subject
• Indicator: Watching the video
• Demonstrate the difficulties that a doctor may have during their academic and professional training
Indicator: presentation of the specialist in charge”
1Intro:mental health 2Screening The dark side of medicine and foro 3Mural:phrases of encouragement
Plans for evaluation:
-Number of registered online (minimum 40)
-Check the number of attendees
-Send attendees a form (Google forms) with questions on the subject to check the knowledge acquired.”
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal