Student Congress: Organ Donation and Transplantation – Belgium (BeMSA)
Name of the activity: Student Congress: Organ Donation and Transplantation
Country/NMO: Belgium (BeMSA)
Program: Organ, Marrow & Tissue Donation
Type of the activity: Education
Organ donation, Tissue donation, excluding blood donation
Belgium is one of the only countries in which every citizen is by law an organ donor but only a minor fraction of the organs will eventually be donated as the traumatised family still needs to approve the ‘taking-out’ of the organs.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
By informing the next generations we hope to increase the national awareness about the necessity of organ donation. What it takes and how it goes. By increasing the knowledge we hope to lower this threshold.
Objectives and indicators of success:
Students’ knowledge about organ donation and transplantation in Belgium
Working group (three really active participants) contacted the transplantation-council of our university who have been trying for years to get their discipline embedded in the lessons but were not able to establish anything yet. Thus they were eager to help. We established twice two parallel sessions (lectures about organ donation and transplantation), break and reception
1) organ and tissue donation: laws, legal aspects, how to declare someone capable of donation, lists of people applying for transplantation.
2) communication about organ donation towards the family, how to convince them to say yes to the donation.
3) lung and heart transplantation
4) abdominal transplantation
Plans for evaluation:
amount of participants
If possible a survey afterwards (What did they think about the evening? What did they learn?)
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021