Name of the activity: SCOPH Ed Expertise Groups
Country/NMO: SloMSA Slovakia
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: Continuous Activity
Category: Capacity Building
Focus area: Prevention of NCDs and Health Promotion, Tobacco Prevention, Children & healthy habits
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being), SDG 4 (Quality Education)
This activity was about preparing materials for medical students and SCOPH enthusiasts who would go to secondary and high schools and who would do workshops for children about different topics connected to public health. The outcome of the activity was to have standardized theoretical materials, session outlines with non-formal education elements, and presentations on certain topics which can be delivered all around the country on the same level, and of the same quality.
In SloMSA Slovakia there’s a strong tradition in children’s education within SCOPH projects. However, there were big differences among LCs delivering the workshops to children – in the information given, in the methods used, and in the quality overall. Presenters lacked relevant information on the topic, had no training in terms of delivery, especially to children, used formal-education methods that bored children.
- Medical students
- Healthcare Students
- General population
- Medical students
- Healthcare Students
- Other Students
- In the upcoming 12 months successfully improve public health educational projects in Slovakia for children in following topics: Healthy Lifestyle, Anti-Tobacco, Addictions by developing standardized and uniform materials for the whole NMO and following capacity building of the members
1.1 to prepare extended theoretical background for facilitating SCOPHeroes on above mentioned topics within 1,5 week
1.2 to prepare 2 session outlines (SO) (for 2 age groups) for each topic based on theoretical info from the booklets with non-formal education elements within 1,5 week after finishing the booklets
1.3 to prepare informative and visually appealing presentations based on SOs within 1 week after finishing the SOs
1.4 to carry out CB session on November NGA with delegates from each LC
Indicators of Success:
- created concept and action plan for improving public health educational projects for children
1.1 prepared booklets for each topic with relevant information on mentioned topics
1.2 prepared 2 session outlines for each topic
1.3 prepared 2 presentations for each topic
1.4 having at least 2 members of each LC trained to be facilitatorsr of SCOPH Ed workshops for children
- needs assessment – choosing the most important topics for children – talking to teachers from high and secondary schools to find out what are current problems among teenagers, also using our previous experience with lectures topics provided until now
- open call for members of SCOPH Ed EG – shared on our social media (FB, IG)
- OLM with selected members -purpose of the activity, distribution of the tasks, deadlines, platforms we are going to use(shared documents for each EG + messenger groups for each EG)
- 3-4 weeks of work, continuous communication with each EG
– preparation of theoretical booklet(1,5w)
– trainer prepared 2 session outlines (in each age group) with different activities interesting for children(1,5w)
– preparation of 2 presentations(1w)
- on SCOPH sessions on NGA, training on how to use the materials
Example: Anti-tobacco booklet with links for SO and presentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vVdv2cPCEyZpDxasH5y3wiJpPTRoN4IbhnXT8OvpICs/
Plans for evaluation:
- Each person who is going to use these materials needs to report his experience. According to this we are changing and improving session outlines, presentations as well as booklets.
- Expect from this, on NGA there have been pre-evaluation and post-evaluation forms provided for participants, who became the first SCOPH Ed facilitators.
- Moreover, each session outline includes evaluation activities for children such as competitions examining things we taught them and quizzes.
On this activity, we collaborate with high schools and secondary schools around the country.
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal