Name of the activity: SCOPH Congress
Country/NMO: Jordan (IFMSA-Jo)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Capacity Building
SCOPH Congress is a conference attended by medical students, Public Health professors, activists and NGOs’ Representatives from all over Jordan. The objectives of the congress are to create a network of public health workers in an atmosphere that facilitates communication among activists, NGOs and sponsors as well as promoting IFMSA-Jo SCOPH activities. In addition, SCOPH Congress discusses the major public health issues that concern the community, also there will be a theme event for this term on tobacco control, with a workshops and inviting our partners and sponsors from smoke-free alliance who can see the success of our projects and discuss the potential methods of collaboration between us and even inviting other medical students from other NMOs. In addition there will be a competition between SCOPH-LCs, where each LC can present its best SCOPH projects during project fair and presentation competition and the best project chosen by the panel of judges is awarded.
So, as conclusion SCOPH Congress will be very useful in building capacity and promoting our SCOPH projects to have a better recognition ,support and advocacy for our activities
According to the WHO; in 2015, over 1.1 billion people smoke tobacco. Although it is declining worldwide and in many countries, the prevalence of tobacco smoking appears to be increasing in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. According to a global study conducted by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington; Jordan topped Middle East countries in the prevalence of smoking among males, and third in terms of female smokers.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Medical students and youth
public health activists
NGOs and governmental institutions
Objectives and indicators of success:
1- Raise awareness about Tobacco control in Jordan and EMR.
2. Attract related partners to support our goal through creating a platform for new collaborations.
3. Encourage IFMSA members as well as non-IFMSA members to attend and participate actively as a part of using different stakeholders for advocacy and exchanging our ideas.
– Inviting our potential partners and sponsors
– Holding workshops and training sessions for our members on 2 days
– Activities fair for SCOPH projects
-Social gathering after the activity
Plans for evaluation:
Online form to be sent with registration as a pre- evaluation and another one after the event for post- evaluation, so we can measure the improvement in knowledge and skills
also a feedback form measuring time, place, organizing and information will be distributed after the event
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal