Name of the activity: Breaking The Silence (BTS)
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Ethics & Human Rights in Health
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
This Breaking The Silence (BTS) is an annual activity held by SCOME CIMSA FK UIN SH which aims to improve the knowledge and skills of participants so they can understand the basics of sign language and can communicate well to deaf and speech impaired patients so that can do anamnesis well and the diagnosis. Continuing to the core event, namely the presentation of material on the AVT approach to hearing loss presented by the Indonesian Snail Foundation. Submission of this material begins with an explanation of the definition of hearing, listening mechanisms, various types of hearing loss, types of hearing aids, to therapies given to the deaf and mute. The event continued with a seminar by PUSBISINDO and PLJ. This seminar explains sign language and is also directly taught sign language movements. After that, participants were divided into several groups to do SWG. In this SWG session, participants conducted roleplaying communication between doctors and deaf and speech impaired patients.
Medical Ethics (Patient Centered Care, Good Medical Practice, direct doctor-patient relationship)
– The high prevalence of hearing impairments and speech impairments in Indonesia
– A large number of medical students who have not been able to communicate with hearing and hearing impairments
Medical students, Healthcare Students, Doctors, Other health professionals, People with disabilities
General population, Medical students, Healthcare Students, Other Students, Doctors, Other health professionals, People with disabilities
Objectives and indicators of success:
Increased knowledge and skills of Students of FK UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta who were assessed through an increase in the average post test score of 20% through interventions in the form of seminars and role plays attended by at least 15 students with a duration of 5 hours.
• Project and the entire series of events successfully implemented.
• Attended by a minimum of 15 students from FK UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta
• Participants can understand the content of the material and be able to do anamnesis to deaf and speechless patients measured by their abilities during a chain message game
• Participants can communicate effectively with sign language to deaf and speech impaired people who are measured through their ability to communicate during roleplay
• An increase in the average post test score of at least 20%
The event began with remarks by PO and LOCO, then continued with a pre-test before giving material about the approach to people with hearing loss by the Indonesian Snail House Foundation (Yayasan Rumah Siput Indonesia). Then there was a seminar on sign language and sharing life experiences by speakers from the Indonesian Sign Language Center (PUSBISINDO) and the Interpreter Service Center (PLJ). Furthermore, role play is held regarding history taking between doctors and patients. The event ended with chain message games using sign language and sharing certificates and photos together.
Plans for evaluation:
The evaluation related to the implementation of the activities was carried out in the form of an internal SCOME CISMA meeting FK UIN SH, evaluation with the speaker facilitated by VLE, filling in Project Evaluation (MacDonald) and filling CQCA by PC
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal
- Obstetric urgency and emergency workshop – IFMSA-Brazil
- Breaking The Silence (BTS) – CIMSA-Indonesia