MSSA 11th Annual conference – Disaster medicine in Egypt – Egypt (IFMSA-Egypt)
Name of the activity: MSSA 11th Annual conference – Disaster medicine in Egypt
Country/NMO: Egypt (IFMSA-Egypt)
Program: Emergency, Disaster Risk & Humanitarian Action
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Each year, MSSA organises a student conference to direct students in Egypt to a trending global topic. This year, it’s disaster medicine. Aiming to discuss how prepared are we, the conference was held on 2 days analyzing the disaster management situation in Egypt. Thanks to our international partners, the conference brought the global trends with the basics of disaster management in the light of the current situation in Egypt, making the participants able to brainstorm for novel solutions to our challenges. It’s not odd to find many of them participants came out willing to have a specialty in disaster management either inside or outside Egypt.
Disaster resilience (including prevention, preparedness and response)
A number of studies point to the lack of adequate training in the medical management of disaster response, a deficiency that has become dramatically apparent in the recent past. Therefore, training medical students to obtain competencies for becoming humanitarian health professionals is essential, and as future health care professionals they have to take the lead and advocate for better disaster preparedness within the health system.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
200 Participants in the conference
100 participants in the workshops
100 participants in the side event and opening event
Objectives and indicators of success:
· Objective 1: Spread the knowledge about Disaster Risk reduction measures through the side event at the first two weeks of February 2018 to nearly 100 medical students.
· Objective 2: Train the medical students through the conference workshops to involve them into the process of Disaster management just after the conference targeting 75 medical students.
· Objective 3: Advocate the aim and importance of the Disaster risk reduction measures and the value of the Disaster Medicine to the public through social media channels and the conference publication strategy.
· Objective 4: to provide an advanced training opportunities for medical students about disaster medicine and related topics through our partners after the end of the conference.
1. Formation of the conference structure and teams
Aim: to establish the conference core team with the following operational plan of action.
2. Preparation of conference and related workshops:
Aim: to introduce the conference sessions and activities
3. Preparation of the opening event and related basic course:
Aim: to establish an orientation session about the topic followed by a three –day- course about basic concepts of disaster medicine
4. Medical research activity:
Aim: to introduce a scientific evidence to the target group of the conference about knowledge and attitude of medical students in Egypt towards disaster medicine.
5. Preparation of the conference sessions, content and speakers.
Plans for evaluation:
In coordination with the evaluation officer we will assess the impact of the conference steps through evaluation forms and pre/post tests for the participants to ensure the maximum quality and usefulness of the conference.
75 participants fill the pre assessment
60 participants fill the post test
mean score of the pre test is 14.3/30
mean score of the post test is 23.5/30
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021