Name of the activity: Miss Sexuality
Country/NMO: Ecuador (AEMPPI-Ecuador)
Program: Teaching Medical Skills
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
Miss Sexuality is conference aiming to prepare medical students to be able to provide quality health services to LGTBI patients; who have a higher probability of having suffered gender violence. The symposium will include topics of interest such as the history of medicine and the LGTBI community, identity disorders and bodily integrity, as well as clinical management, surgery and psychological support for people who decide to undergo a gender change.
Doctor-Patient communication skills
Different points of view regarding sex, gender, and gender identity had emerged. It is necessary to clarify the terms used and also to learn how to manage patients. Most outdated health related professionals still consider transsexuality as a “pathology” which needs to be diagnosed. According to the INEC 77% of LGBTI patients are victims of discrimination, and request psychological support, is necessary for future practitioners to understand the correct medical procedures and a correct inteview
Medical students, LGBTQIA+ community
General population, Medical students, LGBTQIA+ community
Objectives and indicators of success:
– To capacitate 40 medical students about terminology used such as: sex, gender, and sexual and gender identity. Additionally, to present the tools needed to participate in a correct medical interview with patients from the LGBTI community and others who had suffered from gender violence. This objective is going to be reached by implementing a forum, in addition to a series of talks with topics related to psychology and sexual health. We aim for this to happen in the month of May 2019, in the UIDE classrooms
– To Educate about the correct terminology about sexual psychology
– To educate about the new CIE-11 classification
– To learn about the history of the LGBTI community in Ecuador and their experiences with the public health system
– To learn how to act, diagnose and treat mental diseases, related to identity issues and body integrity.
– Coordinate the contact with the doctors about the conference
– Find the place for the event
– Elaborate a spreadsheet to coordinate the people assisting to the event and the payment
– Elaborate a WhatsApp group with the people attending the event for active communication
– Elaborate the initial test and the topics of the forum
– The conference is divided in 3 parts:
– First part: small test that examine the background knowledge of the auditory followed by a small forum discussing: Role of chromosomes in sexuality
– Second part: history of the mental diseases related to transsexuality and the problems in the society
– Third part: clinical management of the LGTBI patient, when to have sex reassignment surgery, and the psychological support for the transition
Plans for evaluation:
Prior to the start of the conference, a small multiple option test made in Google form will be sent to all participants. The test will evaluate basic knowledge about medical history and the correct use of concepts, how to identity disorders, and knowledge about how to act in scenarios where the patient is transsexual. The same test will be given at the end of the conference as it will serve as feedback for us coordinators. It will be sent through the WhatsApp group created for the project, in addition to new questions added to test how beneficial the conference was. The most important point to be evaluated is whether the medical student is prepared for these scenarios, including gender violence, or how they think the talks could be improved.
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021