Name of the activity: Market Sensitization on Hypertension
Country/NMO: KuMSA Kuwait
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: First-time Activity
Focus area: Prevention of NCDs and Health Promotion
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good health and well-being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities)
In commemoration of world Hypertension day, GaMSA SCOPH in Partnership with INNOVARX Global Organized a Market outreach. The focus of this outreach was promoting Awareness of Hypertension and Preventative measures. In the Gambia and Africa as a whole the average population is not adequately informed about Hypertension, what it is, Preventative measures and how to live with it. We conducted blood pressure screenings from over a 120 people.
Market sensitization outreach, a collaboration of GaMSA-Scoph and Innovarx Global Health was needed to reduce the incidence of NCDs and other co-morbidities. Sensitization within the public is significant for promoting healthy living and reducing the risk of diseases in the upcoming decades. It is the current situation in the Gambia and has mainly attributed to poor awareness and lack of accessibility to healthcare facilities.
- General population
- Elderly people
- General population
- Elderly people
- Provide comprehensive information about Hypertension and Diabetes to approximately 250 people across our venue, including symptoms, diagnosis, and management.
- Raising awareness of diabetes mellitus and hypertension among the susceptible ones in society, particularly youth and the elderly and increasing their understanding of the importance of early detection.
- Encouraging and educating the public about the importance of visiting a hospital to have occasionally blood sugar and blood pressure checkups
- Instruction and demonstration of self blood sugar and blood pressure checks for they can practice and teach others who are unaware.
- Collaboration with Innovarx Global Health to ensure long-term partnership towards the prevention and control of hypertension and diabetes mellitus in The Gambia
- Spread awareness to the public through the use of flash cards
Indicators of Success:
- More than 75% of the sample should be well aware of hypertension and diabetes mellitus
- Ensure that at least 75% of the test population reached out can perform self blood pressure and blood sugar tests and have adequate knowledge on diabetes mellitus and hypertension .
- Ensure that over 75% of the public reached out should have a positive attitude towards screening services.
They should also be aware of the tell tale signs and also hospitals where they can get screened and access free screening opportunities.
- Ensure that at least 75% of the public can perform the self blood sugar and blood pressure check up and are not uncomfortable teaching others
- Obtain flash cards and brochures from Innovarx Global Health to be distributed during the event.
- Ensure that educative and attractive infographics are shared and promoted across all social media platforms.
GaMSA SCOPH partnered with the Innovarx Global Health, to deliver the sensitization via flashcards,lectures and free testing for blood sugar and blood pressure. At the end of the activity, all participants were informed of the risk factors and signs to look out for.
1 month prior to the activity, GAMSA SCOPH met up with Innovarx Global Health for a possible collaboration in the upcoming event concerning NCDS.
Two weeks after the initial meeting , a representative from Innovarx Global Health along with the GaMSA SCOPH Director viewed the venue.
The venue was an under served community that we chosen with the reason that a health facility was located within 10kms radius and could be reached under thirty minutes.
Fliers and Banners were set up in order to create awareness for the event
Members of the committee were sent to the market to speak to local in local dialect for better understanding.
After which, participants were invited for check up at the activity stand
Plans for evaluation:
All participants were given forms to fill that contained the results of their check-ups and appointments were schedules for locals who needed further checks and followups.
A pre-interview was done previously before initiating the activity and a post-interview was done after the activity
InnovaRx Global Health LTD (IGH) is a business-to-business (B2B) solutions and Business to Customer (B2C) provider formed to become the premier clinical services and technology solutions company in The Gambia. The supported us by providing materials necessary for the event via
flashcards, lectures and equipments for blood sugar and blood pressure check.
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal