Name of the activity: Let’s talk about sex
Country/NMO: Slovenia (SloMSIC)
Program: Sexuality & Gender Identity
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Our project, Let’s talk about Sex, was established to promote safe sex among youth in primary and secondary school. The objectives of our mission are being realized year after year with noted growth and expansion. The project has 40 specially trained instructors – medical students – with in-depth knowledge of the material at hand and an especially keen sense of communication, the right as well as shameless approach. On an annual basis, we organize about 100 lectures and make sure that 2.000 school children get adequate answers to their important questions. Teachers are enthusiastic about our work because sexual knowledge and especially questions young people tend to have are far beyond the scope of the usually rigid curricula.
The main problem in our society is the stigma that comes along with sex education and the lack of interest for it from school workers. We face many obstacles in LGBT+ antidiscrimination, STDs and testing for STDs. Most do not know where to get tested and what the result can mean for their lives. Of course, due to internet, there is no lack of information about SRHR, but we have to present them the right ones. We have to make them talk about this topic, to discuss it with friends, families and others, so we can all unite and overpass this controversial culture that we live in.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Firstly, there are participants of our workshops and those are youth (our target group), between 14-17 years old. Secondly, we also target students all over our city, passersby on days when we organize awareness campaigns (from children to elderly) and also parents who have a major role in educating their children. Our beneficiaries are youth, LGBT+ society, medical workers and students.
Objectives and indicators of success:
• raise the awareness of the public health problem of irresponsible sexuality at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
• break the social taboo of sexuality and sexual education for young people with at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
• trach at least 1000 grade schoolers and high schoolers how to properly use a condom
• trach at least 1000 grade schoolers and high schoolers what is adequate protection against sexually transmitted infections and how they are treatable
• teach at least 1000 grade schoolers and high schoolers information about unwanted pregnancy
• promote the use of contraceptives at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
• promote visits to the gynecologist at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
• promote tolerance and respect for LGBT + community at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
• prevent discrimination against LGBT + community at at least 50 different lectures in the year 2018
All of our objectives can be achieved via lectures in grade schools and high schools, where we teach about all of the above mentioned objectives. We also organise stands throughout our town where we inform the general public about above mentioned objectives. Lectures and informative stands are also the concrete actions that make up our Activity.
Plans for evaluation:
We gather and evaluate our monitoring from the gathered feedback of the students and the questions which were asked during the presentation. One of the best feedbacks are collected from the professors who contact us every year in order to present the topic to the new students since they are less shy when interacting with a younger and more open trainer.
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal
- Obstetric urgency and emergency workshop – IFMSA-Brazil
- Breaking The Silence (BTS) – CIMSA-Indonesia