Name of the activity: Learning and Exploring in Research
Program: Medical Education Systems
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: Continuous Activity
Focus area: Human Resources for Health
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 4 (Quality Education)
The Indonesian Minister of Research and Technology stated that the number of researchers in Indonesia is ranked 45th (SciMago 2020). Based on RISTEK-BRIN in 2018, Indonesia has 1,071 researchers per million population, which is very low. Learning and Exploring in Research aims to introduce research and develop the interest of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta students by educating, increasing understanding, guiding, and training the students regarding basic principles of research.
The Indonesian Minister of Research and Technology said that the number of researchers in Indonesia is still relatively small, which is ranked 45th. Based on assessment to students of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta, 76% were found to be interested in conducting research. Despite their high interest, as many as 111 out of 249 students have never participated in research activities. Therefore, due to high interest but knowledge that can still be improved, CIMSA UGM intends to carry out this activity.
- Other Students
- Medical students
- Other Students
Empowering Medical Students
- Train CIMSA member who is a medical student to teach and facilitate the students of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta about research
- Train CIMSA member to facilitate the students of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta in research activities and apply their knowledge and skills by holding community development activities.
Improving Nation’s Health
- The target community is provided with knowledge of the research base as well as guidance.
- The target community will conduct research and also be trained to be aware of the surrounding problems.
- Increase the target community’s interest in research.
Indicators of Success:
- Form a research community consisting of 20 students in facilitating the continuity of the community development.
- Increasing the knowledge of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta students regarding the basics of research by using the post-test score of at least 70% as the indicator
- Increasing the interest of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta students regarding the basics of research as evidenced by the attendance of participants at least 80% of the total target students
- Improving the research skills of SMPN 5 Yogyakarta students by facilitating a simple experiment to start a research that is attended by at least 80% of the total target students
- SMPN 5 Yogyakarta students can design their own research through mentoring, measured by the formation of 5 research titles by 5 small research groups consists of the students
- Involving 12 OC SCORE CIMSA UGM as facilitators in the running of the activity
The 1st intervention consisted of material related to the basis of research, case study discussion, and experimental practices which is testing the quality of water from various sources around the students. The 2nd intervention contained the material of research proposals. Students were asked to think of some ideas for the title of the research they would do. They were also explained about the strategy for completing research proposals that they worked on in groups. Then, we provide a guidebook for the preparation of research proposals and a logbook to monitor their progress. In the 3rd intervention, participants were taught about how to retrieve and process research data which they would then apply in their respective research. Participants will also be taught to compile research posters so that in the 4th Intervention, a Research Festival can be held at SMPN 5 Yogyakarta containing the results of student research work that has been compiled during this activity.
Plans for evaluation:
Evaluation using pre-test & post-test and intervention evaluation forms targeted to be filled out by external partners (if any), OC, and the community.
- Post-project assessment
- Guidance on the preparation of research proposals for 1 month post-intervention followed by data collection
- Providing hardcopy guidebooks and logbooks for proposal preparation guidelines
- Mr. Arif Nurhadi from SAGASITAS as a trainer
- Mr. Albertus Tuhu Setyo Nugroho as a trainer
- Mr. Adam Satria Buana as a trainer
- SMP Negeri 5 Yogyakarta as a target community for community development
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment