IFMSA’s COVID-19 Response l Executive Board Statement
To the global IFMSA Family,
We hope this message finds you all well, in good health and safely staying home.
At the center of the work of the International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) lies the capacity building of our members but also our ability to voice the opinions of young Health leaders and global health enthusiasts. Facing the global spread of COVID-19, IFMSA is committed to using the skills, knowledge, and values that our members possess to tackle the short-term and long-term effects of this pandemic.
Today, it is our role as young healthcare professionals to assist in whatever way we can. In our own communities, with friends and families, we should commit to raise awareness about the risks of COVID-19 and how they can protect themselves. We can also have an impact in supporting our health systems and protecting the physical and mental health of the people affected directly or indirectly by the pandemic.
As a global umbrella federation, IFMSA is committed to :
- Work on educating and empowering its members to play an active role and address COVID19 infection prevention and control on a local, national and global level; and supporting national initiatives.,
- Raise medical students’ awareness on the impact of the outbreak on Medical Education worldwide as well as alternative measures taken by medical schools during the outbreak;
- Provide evidence-based knowledge and combat misinformation about the virus;
- Assess other upcoming official IFMSA meetings based on the recommendations by relevant governments, ministers and institutions in order to decide to hold them, postpone them to a later date or cancel entirely while providing different methods to decision making and capacity building;
- Monitor the situation and long-term effects of the outbreak to be prepared to continuously support and empower members to tackle the global health scene after the outbreak.
Detailed information about each of IFMSAs actions will be shared on the dedicated webpage to this outbreak: https://ifmsa.org/covid19/. And we call upon our member organizations to join its global efforts in ‘Flattening the Curve’ and help to mitigate the effects of the outbreak. And it is with a heavy heart that we announce that we had to postpone or cancel our events scheduled in April and May. These events represent the highlight of IFMSA involvement and action and these are some of the toughest decisions we had to make:
- Team of Officials Meeting, previously scheduled for the 1st to 5th of May
- The European Regional Meeting (EuRegMe)
- Sub-Regional Trainings until 30th May
- Youth PreWHA Workshop (More Information will be shared during next days)
Our Exchange Programs
IFMSA will continue to offer full support and guidance to the member organizations, their Exchange Programs and the hundreds of students facing negative consequences due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The Standing Committees on Professional and Research Exchanges have produced recommendations to tackle situations that occur and update it regularly. IFMSA will review the long-term effects caused by the situation and ensure the quality and sustainability of its Exchange Programs.
IFMSA rose in the aftermath of one of the world’s most devastating events. Over the last 69 years of its creation, IFMSA has worked with aftermaths of World War 2, and combatted global threats, from Nuclear Weapons, HIV & AIDs, etc. With the various stages of the epidemic in all corners of the world, IFMSA and its members will be there every step of the way fighting for a healthier future.
We are united in our purpose and united we shall act.
Your Executive Board.
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal
- Obstetric urgency and emergency workshop – IFMSA-Brazil
- Breaking The Silence (BTS) – CIMSA-Indonesia