Bom Dia from Rio de Janeiro!
Welcome to our first blog entry from live on the ground in Rio.
Today was the first day of the Rio+20 Youthblast event, the official lead up event for Children and Youth group. Youthblast brings together over 2000 youth from across the world in a four day preparatory dialogue for the main conference later this month.
An amazingly cosmopolitan delegation of youth was welcomed with inspiring words from the Secretariat-General of the Presidency of the Republic of Brasil, Gilberto Carvalho, who challenged the youth to be the generation to embrace global solidarity in a bid to address the transnational issues facing our world.
We also had the great privilege of presenting a workshop for delegates on a ‘health in all policies’ approach to sustainable development engaging a highly diverse group of about 30 participants. The workshop divided into four mock government ministries: trade, agriculture, environment and urban planning/transport. The groups were firstly asked to identify the top five issues for sustainability. Each portfolio were then asked to link the issues to the ‘cross-cutting’ health case study of obesity. The task proved both enlightening for participants as well as producing a number of quite innovative policy suggestions!
Remember to follow us on facebook and twitter (@ifmsa).
Abracos from Rio!!
Daniel Yore, on behalf of the IFMSA RIO+20 delegation
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment