The World Health Organization (WHO) 136th Executive Board Meeting is currently taking place in Geneva, at the WHO Headquarters, between January 26th and February 3rd 2015.
IFMSA is represented by a delegation composed by our President, Agostinho Sousa, our Vice President for External Affairs, Claudel Desrosiers, Ivan Seah, from AMSA-Singapore, and myself, Pedro Correia de Miranda, Liaison Officer to WHO.
Over the course of the week, 193 member states, dozens of NGOs and Civil Society itself, are discussing and updating the World on a multitude of issues that includes namely: the Ebola Outbreak, the Post 2015 Agenda, Health Systems, Violence and Health, Trade Partnerships and Climate Change. Negotiations go on all day (and night if needed!) in order to produce an Agenda for the next World Health Assembly (WHA), happening in May.
We have two main goals this week:
- Identifying the agenda priorities for the upcoming WHA (and work on them until then)
- Represent IFMSA as its voice and opinion;
As such, we have been drafting and delivering many statements that have been posted on the blog. Those statements match IFMSA global priorities, and are aligned with the Federation’s policy statements.
- Item 5.1: Engagement with Non-State Actors
- Item 6.5: Violence and Health
- Item 7.1: Health and MDGs
- Item 7.2: Climate and Health
- Item 9.4: Ebola Outbreak
- Item 10.1: Essential Surgical Care and Anesthesia
- Item 10.2: Recruitment of Health Professionals
- Item 10.5: Innovation and Intellectual Property
We are thrilled to be here on IFMSA’s behalf, and reassure you that we are working hard on promoting our opinions as the voice of the youths at WHO. Should you want to get involved or give your opinion, please do not hesitate to approach Pedro, IFMSA Liaison Officer to WHO, at [email protected].
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024