During the next ten days, IFMSA will participate in several events happening around the UN Sustainable Development Summit and the UN General Assembly in New York City. After years and years of working in different global consultations and discussions within the organization, we are now at the end of a long process, to which IFMSA actively contributed: the approval of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Federation will be represented by a delegation of 5 people: Agostinho Moreira de Sousa (Head of Delegation and IFMSA President 2014/2015), Karim El Sayed (IFMSA Liaison Officer for Human Rights and Peace Issues 2015/2016), Kornelija Maceviciute (IFMSA Vice-President for External Affairs 2015/2016), Michalina Drejza (IFMSA Liaison Officer for Sexual and Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS Issues 2015/2016) and Moa Herrgrd (IFMSA Liaison Officer for Human Rights and Peace Issues 2014/2015).
What are the SDGs?
We are now in a transition from the MGDs (Millennium Development Goals) to the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). If you want a quick and interactive way to understand the SDGs and what is going to happen in the next days, please see these 2 articles from the Guardian that summarize very well what is expected to happen during the next days and also explain the transition from MDGs to SDGs.
- Global Goals Summit: From the pope to Shakira, Everything you need to know
- Sustainable Development Goals: Changing the world in 17 steps
Which events are going to be held?
IFMSA will partake in the following events; however you can have an updated list of all the UN Sustainable Development Summit Side Event here.
- UN MGCY Children and Youth Hub: 20-22 September
- International Conference on Sustainable Conference: 23-24 September
- UN Sustainable Development Summit 2015: 25-27 September
- ICMYO Meeting: 28-30 September
- UN General Assembly Annual general debate: 28 September – 3 October
What will IFMSA do and why?
Interested to know more?
For more detailed information, please consult the official Sustainable Development knowledge platform and the official website of the UN Sustainable Development Summit. The opening ceremony, statements from each country, adoption of the sustainable development goals and more will be broadcast live on http://webtv.un.org. Additionally, on this website, http://www.
During the next days, the Summit will be mentioned in the media. Stay tuned on the updates and follow the Twitter hashtag #GlobalGoals and follow IFMSA Twitter account @ifmsa for the upcoming developments.
If you would like to share anything or input in a matter that can be relevant to improve the IFMSA participation in the events, please send an email to [email protected].
Entry written by the IFMSA Delegation to the UN SDGs Summit
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021