The 2017 Annual Conference of the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) took place early last week in Helsinki, Finland, from the 26th until the 30th of August, 2017!
What is AMEE?
The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) is a worldwide organisation with members in 90 countries on five continents. Members include teachers, educators, researchers, administrators, curriculum developers, deans, assessors, students and trainees in medicine and the healthcare professions. AMEE promotes international excellence in education in the healthcare professions across the continuum of undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education. Its annual meeting is the largest meeting of medical educators in the world.
How does AMEE collaborate with IFMSA?
AMEE is one of the main external partners of the IFMSA! Some of our main areas of collaboration include:
- IFMSA sitting on the AMEE Executive Committee and leading the AMEE Medical Student Refugee Committee;
- IFMSA leading the AMEE Student Task Force and AMEE Student Initiative Grant, both fully funded and supported by AMEE, and managed in collaboration with the European Medical Student Association (EMSA);
- IFMSA providing a student voice for AMEE projects, and initiatives;
What is the AMEE Student Task Force (STF)?
Every year, a Student Task Force of 65 students if supported by AMEE to attend the conference, and help with the conference’s logistics and operations. Students are encouraged to attend sessions, participate in workshops, and present the student perspective on medical education issues! This year, we received over 1,200 applications for the STF, showing the interest from students worldwide. We had the most diverse task force ever, with 25 local students from Finland, and 41 international students (16 Europe, 9 Americas, 6 EMR, 6 Asia Pacific, 4 Africa)
Did any IFMSA projects get presented during the conference?
As a matter of fact, yes! Shoutout to:
- Tara d’Ignazio (IFMSA-Quebec), SCORE Assistant for Academic Quality, for presenting the IFMSA/UNESCO ethics pre-departure training during a short communication session;
- Jeremy Glasner (swimsa-Switzerland), co-author of the IFMSA Social Accountability toolkit, for presenting the IFMSA Toolkit on Social Accountability, that will be released in the coming days;
- And over 10 STF members who presented various local and university-level initiatives!
Where is AMEE happening next year?
The 2018 AMEE conference will take place in Basel, Switzerland, from the 25th until the 29th of August, 2018. Click here to learn more. Applications for the STF will open in early 2018, make sure to track the IFMSA and AMEE websites for more details.
What is it like being on the student task force?
You can read reflections written by three students who were on the STF this year. Click here.
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment