Name of the activity: Helping Hand
Country/NMO: Kazakhstan (KazMSA)
Program: Mental Health
Contact information: [email protected] 87752928924
Type of the activity: Campaign. Combination of education and advocacy. Campaigns create awareness in society about a certain topic (education aspect) and try to funnel this awareness into pressure on the decision makers to adapt policies accordingly (advocacy aspect).
The project “Helping Hand” increase the level of socialization and adaptation of children. Regarding to this our project is currently very relevant, as socialization, through interaction with students, assistance in the work of orphanages, support for orphans, children left without parental care and with disabilities – is a big task. As medical students, we will promote activities in the field of prevention and protection of children’s health, promoting healthy lifestyles, and improving the moral and psychological state of children.
Children’s mental health
In our country, according to statistics in 2018, there are 34 thousand orphans and 147 thousand children with disabilities. Numerous studies and the results of a sociological survey confirm the alarming conclusions: no matter how wonderful the educational system of orphanages is, it is impossible to ensure the full socialization of children and prepare them for independent life. An artificially modeled environment cannot replace a home or family environment.
Medical students, Children, People with disabilities
Medical students, Children, Government
Objectives and indicators of success:
1.The developed project is important for solving a number of social problems, and in case of implementation it will allow to achieve changes in improving:
-the quality of life of children
-developing their social interaction skills and expanding social ties
-creating a positive atmosphere in the orphanage
– developing communication skills
Indicator: Monthly visit to an orphanages and host events in 7 cities of the country.
2. The result of the work should also be improvement of knowledge in the field of mental health, human health, first aid, reproductive health, sexual development and etc.
Indicator: 800-1000 Number of children who attended trainings, lectures, events done by an LC.
3. Medical students are trained and advocate on behalf of children’s health and rights.
Indicator: Monthly host events.
Activity is conducted in 7 cities of the country every month.
1. Meetings, on local, national and international level, focused on building and sharing knowledge on children’s and adolescents health and rights.
2. Finding orphanages willing to join our cause and allow out students to teach, work and play with the children.
3. Community level activities with children. Every month hold events on different topics:
-Fun event that will involve children and encourage them to actively participate :
games, concerts, laser light shows, entertainers
– Activities that will involve adolescents and encourage them to actively participate: training on topics mental health, human health, first aid, reproductive health, sexual development and etc.
-Providing information about children’s rights by showing social videos (pictures, infographics) (on social media)
Plans for evaluation:
The outcomes of Activity will evaluate through reports on the activities carried out. At the end of each master class will be summed up by an easy survey, tests.
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024