Name of the activity: Help us, immunity!
Country/NMO: LiMSA Lithuania
Program: Communicable Diseases
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: Continuous Activity
Focus area: Preventable Diseases, Work to increase rate of Vaccination
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being), SDG 4 (Quality Education)
“Help us, immunity!” – A project to educate school children about immunoprophylaxis and infectious diseases. The aim is to introduce youth to the concept of immunity, ways to prevent common infectious diseases and to dispel myths about vaccination.
According to last year’s epidemiological data, 6032 people were affected by influenza, 4196 of whom were children aged 0-17 years. According to the NVSC (national public health centre), the number of vaccinations has fallen one sixth since 2020. The number of people suffering from communicable diseases in Lithuania is increasing every year. We believe that the spread of communicable diseases is only due to a lack of knowledge about vaccination and immunoprophylaxis.
- General population
- Medical students
- Healthcare Students
- Other health professionals
- Educate at least 600 students during 2022-2023 on immunoprophylaxis and communicable diseases.
- Posts on immunoprophylaxis and communicable diseases, shared on our NMO social networks will reach 4000 people.
- During trainings at least 40 our NMO members will acquire or deepen their theoretical knowledge on immunoprophylaxis.
Indicators of Success:
- At least 30 lessons were taught in schools by NMOs’ members on immunoprophylactic and communicable diseases – reaching approximately 600 teenagers. At least half of them will be able to answer correctly some basic questions about vaccination and communicable diseases during the kahoot game.
- At least 5 informative posts were posted on our NMO social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram).
- 4 training sessions were organised NMO members, each attended by at least 10 people. At least half of them will be capable to describe main communicable diseases, draw scheme about immune system and join our lecturers team.
- Each year information on immunoprophylaxis and communicable diseases told during lessons is being updated by coordinators of this project, both LPOs and NPO.
- In the beginning of November we have trainings for our NMO members. During whole year we have 4 trainings (2 in each city).
- During academic year project coordinators are searching for schools in Lithuania (lessons are organized for 13-17 age old students).
- 5 posts will be posted on NMO social media to raise awareness about immunoprophylaxis and communicable diseases.
Plans for evaluation:
- Get a feedback from NMO members, who participated in training sessions. Get to know their opinion where we, as project coordinators, could improve ourselves and the quality of lecture.
- Get a feedback from students and teachers who participated in our lecture. After each lecture we give students to do a kahoot. While playing they can evaluate what they have learnt. Besides after kahoot we ask them their honest opinion whether they liked it or not.
- Each year conduct more and more lessons, regarding statistics of previous year.
- Statistical data of reach on our posts on NMO social media accounts.
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal