Name of the activity: Healthy and Proud
Country/NMO: Canada – Québec (IFMSA-Québec)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Healthy and Proud is a peer-to-peer education program centred around the development of self-esteem by covering topics such as dieting and physical activity as well as animating discussions about the adolescents’ fears and questions. We aim to build on the students’ experience and knowledge to foster optimal overall health from a prevention point of view.
Prevention of NCDs and Health Promotion
Identity crisis and negative body image is a long known and little addressed issue which strikes adolescents most and can be intimately related to the development of various bad habits such as smoking, abusive drinking, fasting, steroids intake, etc., all in the hopes of fitting in.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Students in grades 9 through 11 (no grade 12 in Québec’s high school system)
General population at large
Objectives and indicators of success:
Assess prior knowledge of students on the topic
– Elicited student participation when questioned about their knowledge
– Discuss with teachers and relevant school personnel about what has been taught and about overall impression with follow-up
Provide relevant information on primary and important health habits and its role in constructing positive body image
– Feedback assessment through Google forms and summary quiz at the end of the presentation
– Positive and filled comments/questions on sheet of paper handed out at the beginning of each presentation
Provide resources and follow-up opportunities for students in case they have questions
– Offer students our project’s contact information and online resources/presentations
We strive to offer quality, relevant and up to date information on the benefits of proper nutritional and physical activity habits in developing wholesome individuals with proper self-esteem. Our activity is validated by family doctors and the Google forms we have set up greatly help us improve on our weaknesses. We also strive to encourage student participation through creative and enjoyable activities to assess what has already been taught to students and to better adapt our content and presentations accordingly.
Plans for evaluation:
We have set up post activity Google forms for both teachers and students to assess relevance of the presentations, content and level of interest.
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024
- SKY Meeting – ANEM Portugal
- Obstetric urgency and emergency workshop – IFMSA-Brazil
- Breaking The Silence (BTS) – CIMSA-Indonesia