Experience Report – I Research Workshop
Rafael Guimarães Moura
Vinícius Florencio Maia
The discovery of the smallpox vaccine in the 18th century, the use of ethyl ether as an anesthetic and the validation of Pasteur’s disease germ theory were undoubtedly some of the biggest discoveries for medicine made in recent years1. All of these historical facts were relevant to the valorization of the medical and scientific areas, which is essential to encourage the emergence of more medical researchers. Since the 18th century, this can demonstrate some of the most promising tools of the human being regarding the process of building critical sense from the technical advances of science: research, experimentation, and scientific methodology2.
Based on the fact that science is of trivial importance for the development of critical thinking and technical knowledge of medical students3, IFMSA Brazil’s Local Committee UPE held Research Workshops which focused on the main themes to be addressed for 1st year medical students. Hence, this event aimed to encourage participants to become producers of scientific knowledge and to improve the university’s engagement in scientific and expertise production4.
With the support of professionals who are directly related to research projects, the Research Workshop was hosted in a classroom of the University of Pernambuco (UPE). It has taken place in two days: September 16th and 17th, 2019, at night. Divided into 5 points, the topics chosen to be addressed were: “What can I publish?”, “Where can I publish?”, “How can I publish?”, “How can I get scholarships and funds for scientific initiation programs?”and “Ethics Committee and Plataforma Brasil”5,6. These moments were addressed in lecture form, with an occasion when professionals answered questions from the event’s participants and another in which some students who are also involved in conducting research spoke about their projects.
Another step of the Workshop aimed attention on a series of activities, in which students were involved in thinking about research topics and, from discussions, titles developed for these, thus simulating a presentation in scientific work. There were 21 participants, including 17 medical students from UPE, from different academic years, and 4 health professionals, of whom 2 nurses, 1 cardiologist, and 1 nutritionist were present. By the end, participants were asked to complete an evaluation form to validate the success of the workshop. According to this impact assessment, 91% of participants gave a 4 to 5-star rating at the event in a range from 0 to 5, which is considered an excellent approval range.
Taking the aforementioned information into consideration, it is perceived that the performance of the “Research Workshop” project promoted a significant improvement in the scientific acquaintance of the participants. This fact is indicated by the feedback given by them in the impact assessment of the workshop and by the involvement in the discussions of the proposed themes, which are important factors for medical training. However, unfortunately, they are not discussed during the course or the reception or incentive due to the educational institution itself. Therefore, the project was completed with good results, influencing the professional and personal training of those involved.
- Adler Robert E. Médicos Revolucionários: De Hipócrates ao Genoma Humano. 1st ed. Minion: Ediouro; 2007. 285 p.
- Köche José Carlos. Fundamentos de metodologia científica. Editora Vozes, 2016
- Oliveira, Neilton Araújo de, Luiz Anastácio Alves, and Maurício Roberto Luz. “Iniciação científica na graduação: o que diz o estudante de medicina?.” Revista Brasileira de Educação Médica 32.3 ;2008. 309-314p.
- SILVA, Mariângela Benine Ramos. O evento como estratégia na comunicação das organizações: modelo de planejamento e organização. Recuperado em, v. 1; 2008.
- Silva Gabriele. Como funciona a Iniciação Científica? [Internet]. [place unknown]; 2019 Nov 13 [cited 2020 May 24]. Available from: https://guiadoestudante.abril.com.br/blog/vida-universitaria/como-funciona-a-iniciacao-cientifica/
- DoityTeam. Como organizar um workshop impactante e envolvente [Internet]. [place unknown]; 2019 Nov 13 [cited 2020 May 24]. Available from: https://blog.doity.com.br/como-organizar-um-workshop-impactante-e-envolvente/.
- Escalations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel
- 2021: Year of Health and Care Workers
- No one is safe until everyone is safe – IFMSA Reflections on the 148th WHO Executive Board Meeting
- Hurricane Season Amidst Global Health Crises
- International health and humanitarian organizations welcome the entry into force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons