Name of the activity: Every Blood Donor is a Hero; Be One Today
Country/NMO: Kuwait (KuMSA)
Program: Organ, Marrow & Tissue Donation
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign
Blood transfusion saves millions of lives, all over the world, every year. Although there’s a considerable amount of blood donors in Kuwait, blood supply is still a challenge that it faces on a daily basis, which is why we decided to pursue the issue
Target groups and beneficiaries:
target group: Medical students, university staff, and families of students
beneficiary: blood donation recipients
Objectives and indicators of success:
– raise awareness on importance of blood donation (indicator: survey distributed to event goers to show extent if new knowledge and perspective.
– collect blood donations, at least 20 pints for the day (indicator: we counted the number of donated pints= 36 per day)
– enroll blood donors in a blood donor membership system, for future blood donation supply (50+ people couldn’t donate on the same day of the blood drive, due to various reasons, but got enrolled in the program for future donations)
We partnered with the national Blood Bank of Kuwait for a blood drive and blood donation awareness campaign. We set up a blood drive in the university campus where people could donate blood on the spot. People could undergo tests, donate blood, and do various activities that enhance blood donation awareness. Campaign included: Media campaign, actual blood drive, posters and booths, and interactive activities.
Plans for evaluation:
We distributed survey to evaluate knowledge and feedback. We also collected number of blood donors from previous campaigns and compared it to our campaign. the number of blood donors has tripled.
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021