Name of the activity: Donate Life
Program: Health Systems
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: First-time Activity
Focus area: Organ, stem-cell and tissue donation
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being)
This campaign will be tackling three topics: Organ donation, bone marrow donation, and blood donation. It will be made of an online and an in-person part. The online part of the campaign will include educational sessions and posts shared through our social media platforms, while the in-person part will include blood drives held at all participating NMOs at the same week.
Organ donation: In addition to tackling the issue of the scarcity of organ donors due to various social issues, we are also going to tackle the issue of organ trafficking in the region.
Bone marrow donation: Only 30% of patients who need a bone marrow transplant have a matching donor in their families. The rest have to get it from strangers.
Blood donation: Most low and middle-income countries in the EMR struggle to make enough blood available while also ensuring its quality and safety.
- General population
- Medical students
- General population
- Medical students
- To raise awareness among EMR SCOPHeroes about organ, bone marrow, and tissue donation by the end of the campaign.
- To build the capacity of medical students in the EMR around organ, bone marrow, and tissue donation.
- To highlight, support and encourage youth actions and NMO initiatives in terms of blood drives by the end of the campaign.
- To highlight the issues of the campaign through an inter-standing committee approach by the end of the campaign.
- At least 5 posts were shared among the SCOPH EMR FB group, with a total outreach of at least 200 members
- i. At least 2 capacity building sessions were held
- At least 20 medical students in total in the EMR attended the sessions
- At least one video/ post containing all participating NMOs drives is shared in the SCOPH EMR FB group.
- At least one session on the intersectoral approach of organ donation with a representative from at least one other SC was held with at least 20 participants.
Before the campaign:
– Recruit interested NPOs from the region to help in the preparations
– Initiation of collaboration with a standing committee for at least one session
– Develop the content of the campaign and design the social media materials
– Prepare the CB sessions
– Assist NPOs of all participating NMOs in the preparation of their blood drives which will be a part of the EMR Blood March
During the campaign:
– Release of a series of social media posts about Organ, tissue, and blood donation through Facebook
– Promoting the CB sessions and opening the registrations
– Conducting a series of CB sessions on Organ, tissue, and blood donation
– Launching and promoting the First EMR Blood March
After the campaign:
– Evaluation of the campaign
– Production of the campaign report
The platforms to be used are the SCOPH regional Facebook group, and the participating NMOs social media accounts.
Plans for evaluation:
– Pre and post evaluation forms will be sent to the participants before and after the capacity building sessions, respectively. This will allow us to properly assess the knowledge increase of medical students in the EMR around Organ, bone marrow, and blood donation.
– Total outreach of the posts
– Unofficial feedback by members who attended the campaign
– Feedback by the informal working group
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment
- 1st Call for International Assistants, Program Coordinators and Code of Conduct Committee of the term 2023-2024