Name of the activity: Climate change & Health (our planet, our health)
Program: Environment and Health
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: Continuous Activity
Focus area: Climate Change
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-Being), SDG 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), SDG 13 (Climate Action)
Egypt ranked the 31st in total emissions with 221.1 million tons of carbon dioxide CO2 emitted yearly, making Egypt responsible for 0.6% of global emissions. Most of the future projections indicate a decline in water availability reaching in some cases 70%. A rise of 1.0m would flood one-fourth of the Nile Delta, forcing about 10.5 percent of Egypt’s population from their homes; the decline in agriculture activities due to temperature increases is expected to range from 10 to 60%
- Medical students
- Healthcare Students
- General population
- Medical students
- Other health professionals
- Capacity building enrichment by empowering and supporting +30 IFMSA-Egypt members with knowledge about climate change and its effect on human health between April to August 2022 through a physical TOT.
- Capacitating of +50 medical and para-medical students through Holding a panel discussion with WHO representative, COP 26 attendee, MOHP Representative, and IFMSA-Egypt Representative to discuss the reasons why health is not the main point in the COP and how to work on that from different levels.
- creating a strong chain with current partners and approaching new ones to provide external opportunities and have available resources by August 2022
- Engaging IFMSA-Egypt members in the advocacy process through Making a national competition between Local Committees about the best Eco-Friendly Event.
- Approach the start-ups or small businesses which are concerned with the climate change issue which sell saplings, and shrubs or are concerned with recycling to offer their work as part of IFMSA-Egypt Merchandise.
Indicators of Success:
1.1:at least 25 of IFMSA-Egypt members are able to advocate for our topic and take real actions to help in decreasing the burden of climate change.
1.2: At least 80% of IFMSA-Egypt members are able to conduct local workshops about Climate Change and health.
1.3:at least 70% of IFMSA-Egypt members are able to fill the Follow-up form to assess their knowledge.
2.1:At Least 40 medical and paramedical students attended this panel.
2.2:The panelists should have a report with the outcome of the discussion held.
2.3:At Least 20 medical and paramedical students are able to put a plan of action to include health in COP27 to be further used.
2.4:Evaluation of the interaction of attendees through a review of the panel discussion.
3: At least 3 Potential regional/national partners will be added to the Partners list of the project.
- Number of participating LCs in the competition.
- Number of members interested in this activity and amount of the work sold out.
– Panel Discussion on World Health Day & WHA Simulation discussing PH & Climate Action, Climate Justice, and lobbying & Policies.
– National ToT in collaboration with WHO-Egypt.
– Panel Discussion moderated by IFMSA-Egypt having representatives from WHO-Egypt, COP 26 attendees, MOHP Representative & IFMSA-Egypt Representative.
– Announcing a competition for the best local eco-friendly activity organized by the LCs and rewarding them in the End term GA.
– Open an SWG of 9 members for Climate Change & Health policy.
Plans for evaluation:
- conducting pre and post-assessment to be filled by the participants of the TOT & the panel to assess the gained knowledge about climate change.
- Follow up with the graduates (climate change trainers) with the CBSDD.
- Review the reports of the panelists & plan of action of the attendees.
- Make proper stakeholder mapping and follow up with WHO and ask them for feedback and regularly update the partners’ list.
- Support the LCs with ideas for eco-friendly events and promote the recommendations.
WHO-Egypt in the capacity building part.
National eco-friendly companies to support us with materials for merchandise and take the food waste and give it to the deserving people.