Name of the activity: CEGAR (Ceria Geriatri)/(Happy Geriatrics)
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Ethics & Human Rights in Health
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
Based on the interviews that we’ve done with the elderly people in An – Nuur nursing home, we have an iniative to make CEGAR as an activity. This activity we make will help the elderly people to get a lot of attention and the medical check up that they deserve. Before the day of the activity, we will gather the medical students that will join us in this activity. We will gather them in groups and train them to do the action that they need to do for a medical check up, and one group will obliged to one elderly people. We do this to make sure that the elderly people can get enough attention from us. Then in the activity, we will do the medical check up and talk with them, we will also inviting a doctor to give a counseling to the elderly people in there that suited them, like a good eating and sport. So they can do a healthy lifestyle before we do the activity again next month.
Rights of patients, doctors and medical students
Based on the interviews that we’ve done with the elderly people in An – Nuur nursing home, 60% of the people think that there are still so many things in the nursing home that need to be fixed to make them call it home. They also tell us that they don’t get a lot of attention because there is no people that come to visit them, and also they can’t do a medical check up, since they can’t walk too much and the hospitals are too far.
Medical students, Elderly people
Objectives and indicators of success:
– Make sure that the elderly people feel the nursing home as their “home” by giving them the attention they want. Our indicator is from the enthusiasm of the elderly people in there when we did the activity
– Make sure that the elderly people get the medical check up that they deserve. Our indicator is from the monthly report medical check up that we give to each of them, we will do the check up each month from August to October and see the statistics from the report
– Help the medical students to implement what they already learn in campus. Our indicator is from the medical students that come with us, they will get the training and help us to do the check up to the elderly people
To achieve the objectives, we will do a few trainings to the medical students that will be the one to do the check up. The trainings include how to do the right vital signs check and other things that need to be check in a check up. Then this medical students will be pair in groups and obliged to do the check up to an elderly people, and also talk with them, make sure that they get the attention and the health that they deserve.
Plans for evaluation:
To see if there is any changing before and after we do this activity, we will see the statistics of their medical check up report and see what we can do to make it better in every meeting. We will also talk to the elderly people in there, make sure we hear what can we do to help them.
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021