Name of the activity: CARES (CIMSA Reduces Disaster Risk)
Program: Emergency, Disaster Risk & Humanitarian Action
Contact information: contact [email protected] to get in touch with the Activity Coordinator
Type of the activity: First-time Activity
Focus area: Disaster resilience (including prevention, preparedness and response)
Sustainable Development Goals addressed: SDG 13 (Climate Action)
Indonesia is one of the countries most prone to natural disasters, one of which is the Jember Regency. Therefore, CIMSA UNEJ held CARES to increase awareness of the general public and medical students regarding disaster prevention efforts, especially floods. CARES was held from 13 to 17 October 2022. CARES consists of three series of events, including social media campaign, pre-activity training, and ground campaign. In this ground campaign, we planted 35 trees in Panti Village, Jember.
Indonesia is one of the countries most prone to natural disasters, one of which is the Jember Regency. The disaster that often occurs in Jember is flood. From the primary assessment that we conducted which included 21 respondents, it was found that the majority (> 80%) still did not know the actions to build preparedness for potential disasters, the role that volunteers can play to help disaster victims, and infectious diseases related to floods.
- General population
- Medical students
- General population
Increase awareness of the general public and medical students regarding disaster prevention efforts by delivering material through social media campaigns and delivering material via zoom meetings within 3 days which will be measured by a minimum number of likes of 30 and an average final pre-activity training score of 75%.
Indicators of Success:
- Pre activity training attended by a minimum of 10 members of the SCORP UNEJ CIMSA.
- Get a post-test average of at least 75 on pre activity training.
- Get at least 30 likes on social media campaigns.
- Plant a minimum of 30 trees during the ground campaign.
- Ground campaign attended by a minimum of 10 members of SCORP CIMSA UNEJ.
CARES was held from 13 to 17 October 2022. CARES consists of three series of events, including social media campaign, pre-activity training, and ground campaign. The social media campaign that was carried out was Cimsight’s article on disaster preparedness which was uploaded on Instagram CIMSA UNEJ and in making it also collaborated with siagabencana.com. Pre activity training is carried out online for SCORP members with the theme of flood prevention efforts. Our main event is the ground campaign, was carried out by planting 35 trees together with KORREK UNEJ (Jember University Campus Volunteer Corps) and in collaboration with DESTANA Panti (Panti Disaster Response Village) in the Panti Village area, Jember. Planting trees as a form of our awareness in flood prevention efforts.
Plans for evaluation:
The CARES evaluation method uses post-test pre-activity training and the number of social media campaign likes.
DESTANA PANTI (PANTI disaster response village) and KORREK UNEJ (Jember University Campus Volunteer Corps) → helping plant trees during the ground campaign.
siagabencana.com (disaster alert website) → help with the creation of CIMSIGHT articles.
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment