Dear IFMSA Members,
It is with great pleasure that we present you this exciting opportunity to be part of the Organizing Committee of the 5th Edition of the Youth Pre-World Health Assembly Workshop.
What is the Youth PreWHA?
It is an international activity organized by IFMSA, consisting of a 5-day workshop that will take place in Geneva, Switzerland, from the 17th to the 21st of May 2017.
IFMSA has been the official representative organization of medical students to the World Health Organization (WHO) since 1969. This has given our Federation the unique opportunity to send an annual delegation of young people to the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), which is the highest decision-making body of the WHO, taking place immediately after the workshop. The aims of the Youth PreWHA is to equip young leaders with the skills and knowledge to be actively involved in the meeting, as well as for youth organizations to align their strategies and prepare for the meeting to achieve a maximum impact.
The Organizing Committee (OC)
The OC will take a major role in organizing the event and will also be expected to be present and have a supportive and coordinating role during the WHA as well.
As it has been done during the previous edition, the Liaison Officer to the WHO will not be the chair of the OC, which means that this crucial spot is up for grabs. However, the LO-WHO will supervise the OC and will function as the Program Coordinator of the OC.
The suggested composition of the OC, including main tasks, is as follows:
- 1 Chair of OC: Coordinate the team and all ongoing processes, ensures successful planning and implementation of preWHA, send out agendas for meetings, follow-up on everyones work, follow-up on the timeline, submit the reports for PreWHA and WHA together with the Liaison Officer to the WHO and the OC
- 1 Vice-Chair of OC: Support the head of OC, set-up and monitor the registration system, manage the google drive
- 1 Finances Coordinator: Create and follow-up on the budget, keep track of expenses, fundraising and handle contracts/agreements
- 1 Public Relations and Social Media Coordinator: PR for registration, the streams, create delegate manual, manage publications and communication during the Youth PreWHA and WHA
- 1 Program Coordinator: the LO-WHO, coordinates the overall program, coordinates and supports stream coordinators, serves as WHO focal point.
- 1 Logistics Coordinator: Manages accommodation, catering, transportation, and is preferably a member from swimsa – Switzerland, living in Geneva.
- 3-4 Stream Coordinators: each responsible for one stream and overall program together with the Program Coordinator. They create agenda for streams, find trainers and speakers, coordinate the participants. Streams are tracks of the preWHA that relate to certain global health topics relevant to the agenda of the upcoming WHA and of special interest to IFMSA. They will be selected according to our federations priorities.
The OC will also be responsible for the delegation and logistics during WHA. The composition of the OC may slightly change depending on received applications.
If you click here, you will find the Preliminary Report from the last edition of the workshop. Attached to the mail you will find the IFMSA report on the 69th WHA for more information.
How do you apply?
Please apply through this google form before November 6th 23:59 GMT. The applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevant Experience in Global Health, Events Organization and Skillset
- Time availability from now until May and during the preWHA and WHA
IFMSA needs YOU to facilitate the organization of this event! We encourage you to apply to be part of the OC of the 5th Youth PreWHA. And do not hesitate to spread this call widely within your NMOs.
Looking forward to reading your applications!
- Press Release: Urgent Appeal for Humanity Amidst the Escalation of the Humanitarian Crisis in Palestine
- It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later! | Annual Report 2022/23
- Building resilience | CRIMEDIM’s health systems lens
- Healthy planet, healthy people | Discussing the interconnectedness of our health with Shweta Narayan
- Healthcare students in HIV response – launching the Declaration of Commitment