We hereby open the call for applications to the extended mandate of the United Nations Task Force.
Deadline for applying is the October 24, 2016, 23:59 GMT.
The Terms of Reference of the United Nations Task Force were originally adopted at August Meeting 2015 and you can find them (here) for a better overview of the work and original timeline of the Task Force. Based on the recommendation of the Task Force and Executive Board 2015-16, the TF was not closed during AM16 and a call for new members is hereby sent. All current members need to reapply in case they would like to stay in the TF. The new Task Force has the opportunity to create a detailed work plan for the upcoming term in collaboration with VPE and EB to ensure smooth continuation and implementation of its mandate.
Also, please refer to this Handbook for more information on IFMSA Task Forces and their work.
The IFMSA have during the last decenniums gained an increased role in shaping global health through policy design, implementation, review and monitoring. Our members have expressed enhanced interest to contribute to this responsibility of the Federation. The Team of Officials’ (TO) Liaisons Officers (LOs) have limited resources to fulfill this mandate and this TF thereby aims to ensure best possible outcome of our involvement in the UN.
- Mobilize and build capacity: mobilize the Federations members and build their capacity in understanding and taking actions within international policy design, implementation, review and monitoring.
- Establish the Federations priorities: facilitate consultations and through the Federations policies create UN processes position papers and strategies of IFMSA.
- Policy design: influence UN policy design, implementation, monitoring and review based upon the created UN processes, IFMSA position papers and strategies.
- Visibility: ensure positive visibility of IFMSA within relevant channels in the UN.
- Policy implementation: ensure that IFMSA implements its UN policy commitments through internal activities and actions by the Federation.
- Policy review and monitoring: review and monitor IFMSAs implementation of UN policy commitments.
The Task Force will be composed of 5 members with the following tasks:
- Supervisor: The supervision of the UN TF is coordinated by the IFMSA Vice-president for External Affairs (VPE) and relevant LOs, being the accountable TF members. The VPE, after consulting the IFMSA Executive Board (EB), has the veto right in the UN TF decision making. The Supervisor must be included in all communication with external partners and has the mandate to approve and delegate official representation to relevant UN TF members after the approval of IFMSA EB.
- UN TF Internal Co-ordinator: The UN TF internal co-ordinator is in charge of ensuring co-ordination of the TF in regards of execution of implementation, monitoring and review of the objectives.
- UN process External Co-ordinator: The UN TF consist of one co-ordinator for each ongoing UN process. The UN process co-ordinator is in charge of execution of TF objectives related to that specific UN process. This includes communication with relevant UN partners in collaboration with the Supervisor.
- 2 General members: to be assigned in accordance to relevant UN processes occurring, which needs follow-up in and by IFMSA.
The work and activities related to the UN agency WHO are outside and not included in the UN TF work and responsibilities.
Timeline for the 2016/2017 term
The timeline below is annual and can be reviewed and updated without IFMSA GA approval by the IFMSA VPE and LOs. Changes may appear.
- October 24, 2016 –> Deadline of the call for UN TF Members for the upcoming term
- November 1, 2016 –> Announcement of UN TF Members
- February 1, 2017 –> Submission of the report to IFMSA General Assembly March Meeting
- June 1, 2017 –> Share report on IFMSA implementation of Post-2015 Development and Agenda and strategy of participation in the ECOSOC.
- July 1, 2017 –> Submission of the report to IFMSA General Assembly August Meeting
- August 1, 2017 –-> Share the ECOSOC participation report and share the strategy for participation in UN General Assembly related events.
- October 10, 2017 –> Share the report from IFMSA participation in UN General Assembly related events
The UN TF is also responsible to ensure meaningful representation and inclusion in UN General Assembly, ECOSOC and relevant UN youth platforms.
If you are interested in joining any of the above mentioned task forces, please submit to [email protected]?the following documents using this code in the subject [TF UN] , no later than October 24, 2016, 23:59 GMT:
- A relevant curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum).
- A motivation letter expressing your interest to join the task force and the position that you would like to apply for (1 page maximum).
We look forward to receiving your applications!