Dear IFMSA family,
We would like to announce the opening of the call for applications for one of the main global health events of the year, the 74th World Health Assembly (WHA) and the 9th Youth PreWHA Workshop 2021, in the virtual setting.
The 74th World Health Assembly (WHA) will be held from 24th May 2021 to 1st June 2021. Attended by delegations from almost 200 Member States as well as recognised international NGOs and other Non-State Actors, the WHA is the annual gathering of the highest decision-making body of the World Health Organization. As in previous years, IFMSA will be organising a Youth PreWHA Workshop on the days prior to the WHA, from the 18th to 22nd May 2021, with a mandatory post-WHA follow-up session on 5th of June 2021. The Youth PreWHA is open to members of IFMSA National Member Organisations as well as other young people from various disciplines, creating an interprofessional working environment.
The Youth PreWHA fosters and improves youth participation at the WHA and further strengthens the voice of youth during global health negotiations. The workshop aims to empower and strengthen advocacy skills and leadership of future health professionals as well as to increase the participants’ knowledge about global health themes that are central to the 74th World Health Assembly. This year, the academic program will be centred on three key Academic Pillars, which are Universal Health Coverage, Meaningful Youth Participation, Global Health Education, with the emphasis of Social Accountability. Delegates will also have the opportunity to join Advocacy Working Groups, which focus on urgent global health issues.
How to apply?
Step 1: Prepare your Candidature Form: Link
Notes: The CF should be signed and stamped by your NMO President. If the candidate is the NMO President, the confirmation must be signed by a suitable alternative NMO board member. Your Candidature Form (CF) should be ready before filling out the Application Form above as you will be asked to upload it in the Application Form. A correctly filled CF is mandatory for your application to be considered valid. Please check the Sample Candidature Form here: Link.
If you are not part of IFMSA, but a member from another student or youth organisation, your Candidature Form (CF) needs to be signed by your Global Youth/Student Organization President or suitable alternative board member, not a National Board Member.
Step 2: Fill out the following Application Form: Link
The deadline for applications is the 5th of January 2021, 23:59 GMT. Please note that the scoring and evaluation processes might be time-consuming. Accepted applicants will be notified by February 2021. Moreover, you may wish to refer to the IFMSA ‘How to Write an Application Manual’ (Link) to help you in this process! Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into consideration.
The applicants will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
- The motivation for attending the Youth PreWHA/WHA and how you will use this experience in the future.
- Relevant experience and a keen interest in global health issues. (Please note that international experience is not required, and as we are aiming for a balanced experience profile, applicants with local/national experience are welcome to apply as well.)
- Understanding of IFMSA advocacy work, including the role of young people in global health advocacy.
Please note that the evaluation of the received applications will be performed objectively with consideration of the criteria mentioned above. Each application will be marked twice anonymously to ensure an unbiased approach. Moreover, strict gender balance, regional representation, and subregional representation (e.g. by national income) quotas will be applied in the selection process.
The registration fee of Youth PreWHA 2021 is expected to be no higher than 15 euros in total. This fee will cover all virtual experiences, platforms, and materials needed for the Youth PreWHA 2021. Full payment would be expected around late February; more information on payment and registration will be shared with accepted applicants. Having considered COVID-19 pandemic as an unforeseen circumstance, the need for a registration fee for the Youth PreWHA is still currently being discussed and yet to be finalised. If you are successful in your application, you will be informed regarding the final cost as soon as possible.
To make this event merrier and to reduce barriers including lack of dependable internet connection, the Organizing Committee could be offering limited Financial Support to applicants who are unable to pay the fee or who need a small stipend to improve internet connection. Access to sufficient technology, including a device, is required to apply to this virtual event. Please note that this stipend will not include the provision of any technology, but rather focus on support with the connection. Once selected, delegates will be asked to fill out a form to request this Financial Support, and it will only be granted when deemed necessary and possible by the Organizing Committee.
What is expected from Youth PreWHA participants?
- It is expected that delegates will be able to attend the entire duration of the Youth PreWHA Workshop, including the post-WHA follow-up session, i.e. 18th-22nd of May 2021 and 5th of June 2021.
- Fully commit to the Youth PreWHA preparations, contribute to the implementation of the advocacy strategy that will be developed during the Youth PreWHA, and sustain involvement during follow-up. This will include readings, online meetings and preparatory projects. Suggested reading materials are as follows:
- Youth PreWHA 2019 Report (Link)
- WHA 72 Report (Link)
- Youth PreWHA 2020 Report (Link)
- WHA 73 Report (Link)
- Delegates are expected to commit some time in the lead up to the Youth PreWHA/WHA between February and May, commit to completing pre-event reading and spend some time preparing statements and organising WHA scheduling before the event, which may involve a time commitment of two hours per week on average in the lead up to May.
Should you have any questions, or need extra information about the application process and the event, please do not hesitate to contact the Organizing Committee at [email protected]. In a few days, we will update our website at https://ifmsa.org/pre-world-health-assembly. Here you will find this information and a whole lot more about the Youth PreWHA and World Health Assembly.
We are looking forward to reading your applications!
On behalf of the whole Youth PreWHA 2021 Organizing Committee,
Sahar, Elaine, Iris, Arwa, Nour, Juliette, Hamaiyal, Mohamed.
- Roadmap for Youth Engagement in The Work of WHO/Europe
- 1st Call for International Assistants and Program Coordinators of the term 2021-2022
- Escalations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel
- 2021: Year of Health and Care Workers
- No one is safe until everyone is safe – IFMSA Reflections on the 148th WHO Executive Board Meeting