Name of the activity: blood for life
Country/NMO: Nepal (NMSS)
Program: Organ, Marrow & Tissue Donation
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education
Crisis of blood and blood products is high in our country. There are many reasons behind this one being very conservative ignorant society where people don’t want to donate blood.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Target groups are: medical students, local pharmacist, visitors and patient party
Beneficiaries are: needy patients who visits Red Cross society with valid prescriptions from doctors
Objectives and indicators of success:
1. To educate volunteers ( medical students) on how to raise awareness of the general public on blood donation
3. To improve the level of knowledge about the benefits of blood donation among volunteers
4. To conduct a blood donation collection within premises of a tertiary center of Nepal
5. To improve the level of knowledge about the benefit of donating blood among general public
N of volunteer students
N of people that donated blood
N of people that we talked to
We collaborate with Nepal Red Cross society for necessary arrangement , health technician for collecting blood, Theme Nepal and IT institute who helped us for developing banner and flex for the program, and Men’s Room Reloaded an online forum of Nepalese youth who helped us by publishing our notice in their social media page ( Facebook)
3. We conduct a training session on how to motivate people to donate blood, how to counsel them and respecting there decision.
4. Training session : was given by intern doctors and a member of Red Cross society to 15 of our volunteers.
5. We conducted blood donation program in Premises of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital.
Plans for evaluation:
Knowledge attitude and practice questions were included in the survey questionnaire for general public to whom all the volunteers approached for motivating them for blood donation.
The training was preceded by pre test questionnaire which included 10 ( knowledge questions) basic questions about the blood donation, and common stigmas of it. And we had post training session questionnaire (same questions)