The International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) was founded in 1951 as an organization of medical students, for medical students and by medical students. For more than 60 years, the Federation has not only been a dynamic platform of opportunities for the future physicians but has also served as their voice at the international level. As an international organization, IFMSA is also know by its translations. Recognized translations of this name are “Fédération Internationale des Associations des Étudiants en Médecine”, “Federación Internacional de Asociaciones de Estudiantes de Medicina” and ” الدولي لجمعیات طلبة الطبالإتحاد“.
IFMSA is the world’s oldest and largest independent organization representing associations of medical students internationally. It currently maintains 135 National Member Organizations from more than 125 countries and areas with over one million students represented worldwide. IFMSA is recognized as a non-governmental organization within the United Nations system and the World Health Organization, and also works with the World Medical Association.
IFMSA was created to impact the world and to empower its members in taking their vision and ideas, and making them a reality. IFMSA has inspired generations of medical students to develop the leadership abilities and skills to take on challenges and to improve the world around them in an early yet crucial period of their career. Engaging in IFMSA encourages both professional and personal collaborations irrespective of geographical, social, cultural, religious, racial, sexual and political differences. As a result, future doctors are becoming more culturally aware and sensitive physicians.
The IFMSA experience shows students that they are not merely passive subjects in a rapidly globalizing world but rather valuable individuals with a potentially powerful role to play in global health. IFMSA hence offers medical students a taste of the real and pressing health issues worldwide, and help them learn that their idealistic goals can be achieved with readily attainable knowledge and commitment.
In IFMSA, the emphasis is placed on students returning to their local environments with new ideas and the skills to implement them. As the doctors of tomorrow and future leaders of health, we feel confident that our students will carry this spirit with them throughout their professional lives so that they positively impact the communities they serve.
- To expose medical students to humanitarian and global health issues, providing them with the opportunity to educate themselves and their peers;
- To facilitate partnerships between the medical student community and international organizations working on health, education, and medicine;
- To give medical students the opportunity to take part in clinical and research exchanges worldwide;
- To provide a network that links active medical students across the globe, including student leaders, project managers, and activists, so that they can learn from and be motivated by each other;
- To provide an international framework in which medical student projects can be initiated, developed and implemented;
- To empower and train medical students to take a role in bringing about the necessary changes to improve the health of all global citizens.
Our Vision & Mission: (Click for more)
Our Constitution: (Click for more)
Our Strategy: (Click for more)
Our Policy Plan: (Click for more)
Our Corporate Identity: (Click for more)