Name of the activity: AMSA Healthy Communities
Country/NMO: Australia (AMSA)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign
AMSA Healthy Communities is the AMSA Global Health Project that focuses on promoting the surveillance, prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases in Australia and globally. It aims to address the obesogenicity of our surroundings, specifically aiming to improve the food environment and the culture surrounding active transport.
Prevention of NCDs and Health Promotion
NCDs contribute to 70% of global mortality, and to 91% of total deaths in Australia. Obesogenic environments in Australia and globally significantly potentiate this health burden.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
The health sector will be the target group of AMSA Healthy Communities, with the aim of benefiting and setting an example for the entire Australian population initially, and then expanding globally.
Objectives and indicators of success:
– Improve the food environment in Australian healthcare settings by 2021, indicated by adoption and implementation of mandatory healthy food and beverage policies for these facilities
– Improve the culture of the Australian healthcare sector surrounding active transport by 2021, indicated by the adoption of recommended improvements in infrastructure
Auditing of obesogenic environments to monitor current status and ongoing progress, submission of proposals and recommendations to federal and state health departments, nationwide education and advocacy campaigns targeting medical students, supporting grassroots initiatives at local universities
Plans for evaluation:
Completion of annual end of year report of the successes and challenges of AMSA Healthy Communities from the outgoing Project Coordinator. Formulation of an annual start of year strategic plan by the incoming Project Coordinator. Monthly assessment of progression towards yearly goals by the AMSA Global Health Executive.
- 152nd WHO Executive Board Meeting
- IFMSA, FIGO and WATOG joint statement on abortion and contraception in medical education
- Youth Action for a Healthy Future for All! | Universal Health Coverage Day 2022
- Join the IFMSA Journey! 3rd call for International Teams for the term 2022/2023
- IFMSA Delegation at Open Education Conference 2021